Favourite nation in KOH1

Mattie44

What was your favourite nation with which you'd love to conquer the world in Knights Of Honor?

When I started the game so long ago I started with Bohemia, because that was the nation you could play with in the beta. Afterwards I switched to Germany, because that was an easy start, but they also had many opponents to begin with. Then I started more hardmode and chose Epirus and on a few other saves I switched to Flanders after it was created by rebels 🙂

My favourite nation to play... Of course Epirus. Coz of the flag colour(Todays Greek colours) and the orthodox relegion. I conquered all map in mod hard invasion economic, with over 1000 battles. Converted all map in indepented orthodox and with all those victories in my areas i gained happiness. It took me some time for sure... But it was like a huge puzzle!!

I played as Cyprus and Scotland as well, once or two and as Byzantines.

I wanted to start as a Rebel. This was my dream. Or to have Pagan priests to convert all Europe to Paganism!! xD xD

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alexis said:

Or to have Pagan priests to convert all Europe to Paganism!! xD xD

I think Paganism is auto converted shortly after conquest, but not having a priest - you cannot adopt the population to remove separatism in the provinces which is a pain.  I always find hard to convert provinces late game as every knight you hire turns into a spy after few minutes, so I guess you had a hard time converting the entire map to orthodox

8 minutes ago, BC Knight said:

I always find hard to convert provinces late game as every knight you hire turns into a spy after few minutes, so I guess you had a hard time converting the entire map to orthodox

Believe me man, in all my games, i almost never hired anyone, except if my king was good in espionage. I was waiting for my family to grow up... :)

Btw didn\t know about thats thing in Paganism. but i think i wanted to change my nations' relegion to Pagan and couldnt do it.

Edited by Alexis

For a long long while I was mostly playing Sicaly starting with 1 provins to have the Fedual Knights and crossbowmen

Then I also began playing Ulster to have long bow men, Berbers since they seemded isolated and Dannes czz I am Danne.

Then I began thinking of the cost of units allthough I've never laked fondes having merchants for all but 3 slots reserved for a marshall and a clerch - the last free slot is for spawing one's king or prices as knights/marshalls where ever(province) I needed one farst mostly due to rebelions - useing that very funny bug.

Oh well  the cost and skill/Qualaty/unit scuat size: and I came to the conclusion that Roman infantry when playing Epirus is the best.

When picked a civ I rank em by:

Kingdom units

Religion - Christianaty is biggest = the leest to have to convert when going total war

Strategi lokation of provinces - I can allways conquer some bether placed - not having random raids from famos rebels

/DK

Kingdom units are the most important for me:

1. Teutonic Order - Teutonic knights (along with the Templars) - the best infantry + Feudal knights (best cavalry in the game) and regular crossbowmen (sadly no Heavy Crossbowmen)

2. Byzantium - Roman infantry, Varangians (best axe unit) + Cataphracts (similar to feudal knights), Pronians (avg. but fast cavalry), sadly they seem lack special/good ranged units

3. Ottomans - Jannisaries are cool (both ranged & melee units), they also get some weak Aknydy(?) spearmen and heavy Ghulam cavalry + Spahis (avg. cavalry), all quite good but not the best.

4. Golden Horde - Mongolian and Steppe Cavalry - fast n deadly, however expensive in start and hard to maintain

Egypt but you made the Mamluks very weak while they was one of the strongest and very heavy armoured defeated the crusaders and the mongols

The Moors : who will control Spain love the war and map hope the map is bigger and many citys and castles.

Byzantium : i love the different army units they have and the position in the map

• Like 1

I love to play the nations that have some sort of unification quest, mostly Bulgaria (home), Ireland, Italy, Byzantium, etc. Generally you start in a bad position and have to build some economy and army and then conquer around. Also loved western Europe for their special units, but disliked the fact that Slavs are very weak in general. Loved the special soundtrack on Muslim nations 😄 I hope they make slavs stronk !! 😄 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

well for the first time and mostly i played with my country Georgia, but in all these years i have played with every single country available in all three available ages,  mostly i liked Trebizond, Venice and Italy for their Feudal Knights, Archers and well armored swordsmen,  

• 2 months later...
On 11/21/2019 at 1:06 PM, Mattie44 said:

What was your favourite nation with which you'd love to conquer the world in Knights Of Honor?

When I started the game so long ago I started with Bohemia, because that was the nation you could play with in the beta. Afterwards I switched to Germany, because that was an easy start, but they also had many opponents to begin with. Then I started more hardmode and chose Epirus and on a few other saves I switched to Flanders after it was created by rebels 🙂

For me it is Kievan Rus’. I hail from Ukraine and thus it’s my fatherland.

Sadly, the country’s military is average at best: boyars aren’t particularly strong and will get mowed down by cataphracts and feudal knights without packing a punch; varangians are truly amazing, yet Kiev (or “Kyiv” like my peers now insist the capital of Ukraine should be spelt) doesn’t have any authentic archer unit to back up these formidable footmen.

Religion-wise, there aren’t many orthodox states on the map, therefore cleric is working 24/7 when I’m conquering pagan lands...of catholic, muslim and heathen religions (/sarcasm).

However, despite all the mediocrity of the Kievan Rus’ state, I’ve beaten the game countless times with my fellow Ivans (or better say Olegs). And then I switched to hard...

• 2 weeks later...

Turnovo on late map, hard difficulty. Quite challenging to unite Bulgaria. then i go for conquering the other orthodox countries and Golden horde, then northern Africa adopting and converting the population so east and south borders are secured. By the time this is done I usually have all the kingdom advantages and high happiness in all provinces. Then comes the fun part: poke around and arrange the rest of the world to break their agreements with me and attempt their crusades 😄  

Edited by vansamoran
typed west instead of east xD