What do you want to see for Diplomacy

Lighthope

Since we don't have a Developer's Diary for this yet, and since it is the general consensus that diplomacy in the original KoH was lacking, what would you like to see for diplomacy in KoH2?

I don't think the game can handle Civilization-level diplomacy, but I certainly don't want to go the opposite end and see Lords of the Realm-diplomacy either.  (How's that for a throwback?!)

We can negotiate for land passage and map view.  Resources would be nice, but I don't see that happening.

What are your thoughts?

Diplomatically vassalise nation (not through war)

Possibility to annex a vassal nation

Possibility to control vassals marshals and see their provinces like they're yours

Personal unions where you control 2 or more kingdoms a once if you're union leader, basically your king controls more than one nation at the same time

Integrate/inherit personal union member

Factions that unlike alliances can consist of more than 2 kingdoms and all kingdoms in a certain faction are all allied to each other. Attacking one member of a faction might result in a war with the entire faction

Order mercenaries - if a nation can build certain special unit type, you can offer them gold and if they accept the'll send a mercenary camp with those units near one of your cities and mercs there are free for you to take for you as you bought them. An example of this could be buying some mercenary vikings from Norway so they come fight for you in your armies

• Like 1

I would add a few things to the previous post from Field Marshal

- Vassals to join their lord wars automatically / If vassal is attacked, the lord joins the war

- After a war there is a truce between the participants

- Breaking the truce could bring some serious penalties

Edited by BC Knight
  • Like 2

On 7/3/2020 at 5:02 PM, BC Knight said:

- After a war there is a truce between the participants

- Breaking the truce could bring some serious penalties

I love this idea, but since KoH2 does not have time (meaning there is no indication of passing time, like a year or seasons) this would be hard. How long does it last etc...

But maybe it could last until one of the nations king die, it would give some incentive to send your spy and kill that king so you can again attack that kingdom or someting... but again like I said, this would be kinda hard to implement without visible passage of time. 🤷‍♂️

On 7/7/2020 at 4:54 PM, DoVlaLegend said:

since KoH2 does not have time (meaning there is no indication of passing time, like a year or seasons) this would be hard. How long does it last etc...

There really should be seasons.  I think they are missing an opportunity there.

On 7/7/2020 at 4:54 PM, DoVlaLegend said:

But maybe it could last until one of the nations king die, it would give some incentive to send your spy and kill that king so you can again attack that kingdom or someting...

That is an interesting idea.  Or at the very least until the king advances in age.  So there is actually some marking of time in game already.

@DoVlaLegend You don't really need a time counter in days/months/years (or sth in it) and I'm sure game has time in it (how would anything move then without it? 😆)

The way truce timeouts could work is simply time in minutes/seconds going down to 0 and maybe represented with classic sandclock () next to it, now this time would be a time in minutes/seconds of playing the game at speed 1 (and scales accordingly to changed game speed ofc).

On 7/9/2020 at 4:57 AM, Lighthope said:

There really should be seasons.  I think they are missing an opportunity there.

1000% agree on that.

19 hours ago, Lighthope said:

No, I don't like that.  Breaks immersion.  Otherwise my army marches across half of Europe in under 5 minutes.

Same, I like my idea better 😛