Any additional thought being put into Princesses?

Lighthope

As it stands, there is no way under the sun I would ever marry off a princess as it provides little benefit (better relation and maybe an alliance) and huge drawbacks as it exposes part of your kingdom to being taken from you.

Historically accurate, but boring gameplay.

Any thoughts on making princesses more useful?

In Medieval II: Total War, they acted as diplomats.  I would like to see more use from princesses other than as liabilities.

Edited by Lighthope
  • Like 2

Like I stated in previous thread;

"Bigger role for female royalty.... For example:

• some perks (2-3 perks or maybe just 1-2) from your wife (she can have popularity perk, which makes population more happy since they like her.. or she has arrogant perk, which makes population unhappy since they despise her),
  • if your King dies and has no male heir, Queen/Princess  can take control of the kingdom (but just briefly, until she finds sutable spouse, but after that kingdom is really unhappy so you need to fix it)"

Would love to see their role more flushed out, maybe use Princessess as a "Good luck charm" (you send her to govern a town and her presence in that town increases happines and population rate). I   don't know🤷‍♂️ haha I'm just throwing some ideas out there 😂

6 hours ago, DoVlaLegend said:

some perks (2-3 perks or maybe just 1-2) from your wife (she can have popularity perk, which makes population more happy since they like her.. or she has arrogant perk, which makes population unhappy since they despise her),

So if she is an unpopular wife, we can just Henry VIII her?  lol

15 hours ago, Lighthope said:

So if she is an unpopular wife, we can just Henry VIII her?  lol

Can't have kids?? Replace her haha😂🤷‍♂️ I mean that could be an intresting mechanic ... 

Maybe muslim Kings could have multiple wifes/harem 🤔 

Edited by DoVlaLegend

On 1/26/2021 at 1:21 PM, DoVlaLegend said:

Would love to see their role more flushed out, maybe use Princessess as a "Good luck charm" (you send her to govern a town and her presence in that town increases happines and population rate). I   don't know🤷‍♂️ haha I'm just throwing some ideas out there 😂

Maybe even governing a monastery, which was a common practice in medieval times. Unmarried princesess often became nuns/abbess. Their appointance could eventualy lead to prosperity of province...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Camerlengo said:

Would love to see their role more flushed out, maybe use Princessess as a "Good luck charm" (you send her to govern a town and her presence in that town increases happines and population rate)

That's a good idea.

10 hours ago, Camerlengo said:

Maybe even governing a monastery, which was a common practice in medieval times. Unmarried princesess often became nuns/abbess. Their appointance could eventualy lead to prosperity of province...

They could increase books written as long as they remain unmarried.

I do like the idea of princesses increasing happiness and population growth when sent to a particular town.  Once they get married, you would lose the ability to send them to towns.

Now we just need to give some positive bonuses for marriage.  Right now, it's almost all negatives.

17 hours ago, Lighthope said:

Now we just need to give some positive bonuses for marriage.  Right now, it's almost all negatives.

I mean, in KoH1 you had an increase in relationship for a brief moment (which isn't much).

Maybe onece  she is married, that kingdom automatically comes into some sort of defense pact with you?🤷‍♂️

For example;

France let their Princess marry Spain's Prince. Now Spain is obligated to help France if it's attacked by England, but France is not obligated to help Spain if they are attacked by England. Basically, whoever married their Princess get some sort of help by the kingdom that took her. 🤔 This would bring some advantages into giving up on your Princess, since the Prince that took her, can challange your throne and take some land after the king is dead. 

Edited by DoVlaLegend
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, DoVlaLegend said:

France let their Princess marry Spain's Prince. Now Spain is obligated to help France if it's attacked by England, but France is not obligated to help Spain if they are attacked by England. Basically, whoever married their Princess get some sort of help by the kingdom that took her. 🤔 This would bring some advantages into giving up on your Princess, since the Prince that took her, can challange your throne and take some land after the king is dead. 

I like that idea.  Spain would get the option to gobble up France's kingdom upon death of the king, and France would get a protector.

How about another idea: A marriage to a kingdom gets you their resources as long as the marriage holds.

Here is the next question: Are the developers even considering doing something with princesses, or are we just blowing into the wind?

13 hours ago, Lighthope said:

Here is the next question: Are the developers even considering doing something with princesses, or are we just blowing into the wind?

I would like to give the DEV team the benefit of the doubt on this.

I think the team has an idea of what is the minimum balanced product that they want to present to us, and after that they can proceed to monitor the forum and select ideas that they like or the community insists on and hopefully don't totaly brake the existing game experience and add the to the game either as DLCs or preferable as Free Updates.

As for princesses - I think there should be a way for royal children without Y chromosome to become rulers or at least be a part of the Royal court. There can be added something like the "Pragmatic Sanction" issued by Holly Roman Emperor Charles VI that allowed his daughter Maria Teresa to inherit the throne after him.

We can go even further into the diplomatics of building a state with something like a legislation tree, but I think we may move too far away from what most of us play the game - to conquer the entire map despite the domastic situation, not because of it.

On 1/27/2021 at 12:41 PM, Lighthope said:

Why can't she be a queen?  *cough* Elizabeth I *cough* Elizabeth II

6 hours ago, WestAnt said:

Sorry, I don't think These two example would fit in the medieval timeframe.

On the other hand I believe the player could have the tools and mechanics to do this if they want .. just for roleplaying and fun. However if you do this there should be some serious consequences. You cannot except for example all your nobles to be happy with this decision and stay loyal if you choose a princess to be the next ruler.

What I think is if that would be possible, it should be done only for fun and to experience different scenarios but not happen all the time by default if there isn't a male heir.

4 hours ago, BC Knight said:

On the other hand I believe the player could have the tools and mechanics to do this if they want .. just for roleplaying and fun. However if you do this there should be some serious consequences. You cannot except for example all your nobles to be happy with this decision and stay loyal if you choose a princess to be the next ruler.

I could go with that as an option available to toggle on and off.

But then are we starting to ask too much from the AI coding necessary for all these different things?

2 hours ago, Lighthope said:

on and off

I imagine it more like:

If the king has only daughter(s), the player (or maybe the AI as well) to have in game options to request support from Nobles, Clergy to appoint a female as the heir to the throne. 

Request support could include:

Favours, diplomatic talk, Bribing, threatening and murdering if you want 😄, and if the king has enough support will have the right to appoint a female as the Heir. And then those who opposed that decision might decide to rebel, even join a neighboring kingdom.

I think both options - to stay Heir-less and to appoint a female as the heir should be bad in terms of stability of the kingdom. Just one of the options may be less worse than the other. And I don't say the devs should include this in the base game or add it as DLC option. It's up to them to decide if it's worth the time spend

• 1 month later...