What did you enjoy most about the KoH series so far?

Zyddie

KOH also had an amazing sound track. I think game designers really underestimate the importance of a good soundtrack. Too often the sound tracks are just plainly bad.. Then there are soundtracks that are good but too short, so they end up being annoying after hours of gameplay. Then there are soundtracks which are long enough and good, and those are the ones I always love and get nostalgic when I hear them again by accident. ( I never encountered a too long soundtrack that I didnt like). I have also experienced games which connect the soundtrack to game actions, this I find very engaging, but can be done poorly where the sound track is just cut off and the next song is played. 

Anyways, graphically KOH was also beautiful for the time it came out. I was playing it recently and the graphics are still very nice to look at. I think here the importance is to have graphics which are roughly speaking, flushed out with the whole game and other graphics in the game. So there is no mismatch between graphical features of the game. This makes it so the player gets sucked in to the games graphical world. When there is mismatch it kinda breaks the acceptance of those graphics. KOH was nearly perfect with this. 

The combat and grand strategy mix was indeed probably the best game play selling point. So I agree with Zyddie on that. There could be more polishing with sub units within each, but as a collective the battles and grand strategy worked together really well in general. 

Finally the voice acting of KOH must be mentioned as it was amazing. Some of the most memorable comments and just great sounding voices. Can always use more voice statements. Could be interesting to use a voice generator with scripted lines. That way you could get the voice you want and have a shit ton of statements.. 

• Like 7

Hi i'm from arabia (Yemen) Big fan :)

loved the design of different castles and units the map felt alive choice of colours it was amazing loved defending against Crusaders the soundtrack was beautiful the diplomacy was amazing if only you can make a campaign where it's focuses in the holy land war between Muslims and the Crusades it will be beautiful.

Mix between combat and the grand map choices. Generally I can't cope with so many choices of other grand map strategy games. KoH had enough choices but not very complex, which helped me a lot. Also I liked the environment a lot. I loved the design of city, village ,sea etc. Battle was pretty basic, which is the only complain I could have of KoH. But again, I liked that I didn't have to fight always.

I hope to see a little bit more complex choices, but not too much like Europa series, a better battle system, where troop combination mean something. Cause you could have pretty much rekt anybody with all steppe cavalry in KoH. And a more rewarding religious system would be like a prize to me. Cause playing with almost all nation, It felt to me, only christian religion was rewarding, others felt like a hindrance.

Finger crossed. I played this game too much.

• Like 1

I enjoyed watching KoH get build and improve after launch with the community. Fond memories.

Also, making the mod Glory of God was a great learning experience. Reverse-engineering the KoH1-map files and writing a (terrible) map creator was one of my first programming projects. I had a lot of fun fiddling with KoH1 and trying out how the pieces worked.

Finally, the soundtrack was absolutely fantastic.

I still remember the first day I played KoH. I was fascinated by the music and the graphs, the voices and even the little birds. It was a love with the first sight. And then the castles and their look depending on what you build... this was amazing. The unique battles in the big map, the way you could reinforce.... Damn... Great ideas.... I could  write every litttle thing but... The game was great. Oh, even the intro music, you know, the hard rocks quitars with the cyclop before the "black sea studios"??? Looks like an eternity ago... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For me the most fun was in conquering the world the easy way without too many struggles (with some help 😛 ). The music and the voices made that expierence very enjoyable over and over again 🙂 I must've conquered the world with about 20 countries now 😄 

The macro game with all its political and military dynamics. The micro gameplay when fighting. The ability to play and re-play the game, using different stategies and tactiques. Voices and Music are great. All local based units are great and history based which brings very unique mood from the start and through out the whole play. FOR HONOR .

I liked the most how many things they made possible in such simple and good to understand way since I played when I was roughly 10 ^^ and still understood everything

Also I loved that there is Kurdistan (a tear escaped while writing that) usually no game covers Kurdish people °^°

Loved KoH and so excited for KoH 2! Many hours of my childhood in that game.

- Real time campaign! This was what set KoH above the rest for me. The 'Board game style' campaign of other big titles was rubbish in my opinion. 

- As already mentioned, the music and sound effects were awesome. Would be great to keep some originals and bring in some new ones maybe?

- For those with a lot of game play under there belt, a hardcore is needed. Hard was to easy in my opinion. If you had enough merchants/trade routes, you could have a huge income and made the game too easy.

- The voices were awesome and unlike any other I've played, Have to make sure that makes it into KoH 2!

I've always thought that the campaign in knights of honor was perfect however the combat lacked slightly. If I could have combined two games back when I was playing KoH 15 years ago,  I would combined the campaign of KoH with the third person combat of Rome Total War.

KoH and Rome total war came out in the same year, and even though RTW did have better battle game play, the 'board game' style campaign of RTW ruined it for me. I LOVED how KoH was a real time campaign, it kept you on your toes and with the ability to play battles with the world unpaused made the think much more of how you were gonna play your cards.

Thanks for bringing this game back, after 15 years I was starting to doubt its return! 

From the teasers, it looks like its going to be awesome, I will be pre ordering ASAP!

Thanks, Josh

Edited by DragonX

Honestly, I can't understand why this game isn't, or wasn't more popular. The gameplay, the soundtrack, the options you had to develop each cities... I do hope they go more in details in KoH2, more options to customize each cities, more units choice and deeper political system (think Crusader Kings) more units on the battlefield. less powerfull merchants to make city developement more meaningful... I mean, the perfect game would be KoH gameplay with Crusader Kings politics and Total War size armies...

I fell in love with that game because it has a simple mechanic which obviously not so hard to understand. As you appear in that world you don't have any goals and you just invent them by yourself and after some time you like that and find it very interesting.

Maybe that's actually one of the reason why not so much people know and liked about that game as they probably thought there's nothing to do,just in my opinion.

I liked that atmosphere which is fullfilled with a beautiful music and sounds. It's always that relax music with you when you check the political map,make trade agreements,send troops to enemies territory,build farms and walls,when you decide something and etc.

It has that alternativity where you as Cyprus (of course with a big desire) can conquer all Northern Africa or as Russia accept catholicism or playing as another country make a big move by destroying Vatican the centre of catholicism church. You could also play as Ireland or Italy or Scotland and some other countries and try to restore them or make of them full and powerful country.

I like so much about this game it's even hard to describe.

I hope that KoH 2 will come out that perfect as the first part or even better.

Edited by TALOS

I enjoyed almost everything just like many other people. I really do think that Knights of Honor was a unique and underrated game. I liked soundtracks the most but I liked everything else as well. I think only major problem in Knights of Honor was the AI. I hope Knights of Honor II: Sovereign gets what it deserve. We all love you guys, keep up the good work!

The idea that it is timeless and does not force you a limti to conquer Europe in say this and That many turns and so on.

The ide that you can also change country religion and stuff, make a small country powerful.

What I apsolutely hated is the fact that "Kingdoms arise from Ashes" just like in Medieval Total War, making in almost impossible for AI to put up a fight.

Plus I also didnt like the fact that "spies" coul infilrtate your kingdom and make a civil unresst or something.

Seriously, the only reliable parts of Knights in later stages of the game were my relatives, ind if your king is sterlized it is almsot impossible to get heirs.

Make this and option not ot happen in settings.

And make multiplayer coop also possible and game will be good