Questions About Battles

bilbobaggins764

And I have recently been playing a lot of AoE4 battles and it's been a blast.  Let's hope the devs keep their battle system similar to the original KOH which was fun as hell.  Change for the sake of change isn't better.  Keeping units in formation during battle (aka more like total war not a blob) and a proper flanking system is really all it needs.  The beauty of KOH is that its a wonderful mix of Crusader kings and total war battles, simplifying both significantly making it fun and relaxing to play as opposed to something like my effing job.  (I'm looking at you CK3) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Battles are a bad joke-wtf?!...How come I can't raise more than a measly 200-300 men army? My Kingdom levies are at 1,200 as a Tszar of Bulgaria. Do I need to have a bazilion marshalls so to raise x-200 men armies? Is this how it works? I dont get it!...All my stats are on the "green" side, and out-of-the-blue, a random peasant rebellion appears with a approx 2,500 men army?!...HOW are we supposed to stop that with a 300 men army?!...And so I lead one of my 2 armies just for the heck of it, and try to reduce (...) peasant rebels. Well, in the end my char dies, and Hungary (with whom I had excellent relationships) suddenly decides to press claims on my lands, which I refuse to surrender ofc. Then they declare war to me, oh and the peasant rebels, which are around 1,700 now, keep f***g up the initial city they attacked...

...Don't see HOW am I supposed to play this game under these conditions. The UI info is not well organized and is quite frustrating. Troops raising / armies forming need an overhaul tbh, having CK3's structure in mind (i..e.: each city contributes a diff amount of levies depending on the population and the relevant military upgrades on each city. The total number of troops of all cities are the Kingdom's Army, and should be summoned with the press of a button near a city of my choice)...

...Mercenary "bands" that randomly appear in our cities are a joke as well. We barely have the gold to buy even 1 (!!!) of the "offered" mercs, so wtf is the point of having them roaming about our Kingdom to begin with?...

...Seriously, even in the easiest of settings the experience so far is gutting. You better start making relevant patches soon enough devs, or this game is a lost case already...

26 minutes ago, zlatky said:

How come I can't raise more than a measly 200-300 men army?

You can raise armies in the thousands.  You need both the levies and the population. If you try to recruit from a city that has no population, you aren't going to get anything out of them.

28 minutes ago, zlatky said:

Don't see HOW am I supposed to play this game under these conditions. The UI info is not well organized and is quite frustrating. Troops raising / armies forming need an overhaul tbh, having CK3's structure in mind (i..e.: each city contributes a diff amount of levies depending on the population and the relevant military upgrades on each city. The total number of troops of all cities are the Kingdom's Army, and should be summoned with the press of a button near a city of my choice)...

You're too locked into "how CK does things".  This isn't CK.  Different game.  Different ways to present information. It's a learning process like any new game.

29 minutes ago, zlatky said:

...Mercenary "bands" that randomly appear in our cities are a joke as well. We barely have the gold to buy even 1 (!!!) of the "offered" mercs, so wtf is the point of having them roaming about our Kingdom to begin with?...

Mercenaries are expensive.  They always have been.  You either save the gold up or don't use them.  As your kingdom/economy expands, you'll find you'll have enough gold to do anything you want.

19 minutes ago, Lighthope said:

You can raise armies in the thousands.  You need both the levies and the population. If you try to recruit from a city that has no population, you aren't going to get anything out of them.

You're too locked into "how CK does things".  This isn't CK.  Different game.  Different ways to present information. It's a learning process like any new game.

Mercenaries are expensive.  They always have been.  You either save the gold up or don't use them.  As your kingdom/economy expands, you'll find you'll have enough gold to do anything you want.

Yeah, thx for the useless info thus far, m8!...

...So, any *SOLID* advise on HOW EXACTLY to create-sustain a large army (in like "step 1:.. / step 2:..." etc) early on? And after that HOW can we summon ALL of our armies if we wanna defend our kingdom (or even start on offensive war)? Is that even possible at this point of the game?

...Apparently, we need to first build our economy / food supply, right? This take some time obviously. Do we need to prioritize having a lot of merchant advisors at first just so to facilitate a strong economy, or is this irrelevant?...

...At game start I also tend to send my diplomat and merchant advisors to the nearest "big" Kingdom so as to strike good trade deals AND befriend them. However, im not quite sure how many advisors are we supposed to be having overall, and how many of each type too. 1 of each? More merchant ones?...

...Also: Do we need 1 farm on every city, or not? And how can we plan on having a 100% food income sufficiency?...

...Moreover: I tend to build barracks near the borders of neighboring Kingdoms that I plan to attack in the future. Is this a good idea, or is it irrelevant and should be building those only on cities with iron ore deposits?

Edited by zlatky

16 minutes ago, zlatky said:

...So, any *SOLID* advise on HOW EXACTLY to create-sustain a large army (in like "step 1:.. / step 2:..." etc) early on?

To sustain a large army, you're going to need food.  Otherwise you'll be penalized.

Gold is needed to recruit, but not to maintain an army.  Though you'll need gold to replenish losses.

Levies, as you have discovered, are needed to recruit.

Different classes of soldier require different amounts of each. At the beginning of a game, you'll have either a peasant army or one made of Tier 1 soldiers.  (Or a mix.)

So, depending on how aggressive you want to be will dictate what you will do.

Different towns have different resources.  No reason to build a farm when a town won't support it.

Extremely important!!!!!  Be sure to have governors in your towns.  There is a ridiculously massive penalty to production in non-governed towns.  This takes a bit of getting used to, but it isn't as crippling as it seems.  And make sure the right class is governing the right town.  Clerics govern towns that you want to provide books and  piety from.  Merchants govern towns that you want to make gold from.  Marshals govern towns that you want to use as army recruitment.

And after that HOW can we summon ALL of our armies if we wanna defend our kingdom (or even start on offensive war)? Is that even possible at this point of the game?

You can't "summon" all your armies. That is Crusader Kings thinking.

You simply move your army to where you want them to be.  Your army is either on the map or in a city.  Think Total War rather than Crusader Kings.

...Apparently, we need to first build our economy / food supply, right? This take some time obviously. Do we need to prioritize having a lot of merchant advisors at first just so to facilitate a strong economy, or is this irrelevant?...

Gold is your priority.  Levies to build an army.  And food.  You can live without piety.  Books are needed to advance the level of your knights.  Do that quickly. The AI will.

...At game start I also tend to send my diplomat and merchant advisors to the nearest "big" Kingdom so as to strike good trade deals AND befriend them. However, im not quite sure how many advisors are we supposed to be having overall, and how many of each type too. 1 of each? More merchant ones?...

Don't waste your time with Diplomats at the beginning of the game.  Not on easy levels anyway.  Those are more useful later on.

At the very beginning of a game, I usually run four merchants or five merchants to get the gold coming in.  After I get my army going, I'll start swapping out merchants for marshals.  You can wait on spies.  Diplomats..........not on easy difficulties. You'll need one near the beginning in the harder modes.

...Also: Do we need 1 farm on every city, or not? And how can we plan on having a 100% food income sufficiency?...

No.  Remember, don't bother with farms if the city can't support it.

You'll get 100% food efficiency by properly planning your cities.

...Moreover: I tend to build barracks near the borders of neighboring Kingdoms that I plan to attack in the future. Is this a good idea, or is it irrelevant and should be building those only on cities with iron ore deposits?

Resources are shared, so don't worry about having to build a barracks in certain cities.  If one city you own has iron, all cities have access to it.

All that should get you started.

• Like 1