Balance of multiplayer gaming

Chinggis Qaan

Considering multiplayer gaming, I'd say a big issue is that one might start as germany holding alot of provinces and another as wallace holding just one. If it was like in Total war with only specific nations avarebele it might be more fair, like 1 province nations only. I know some might dislike it since they want too play as a nation due too coming from that land irl. or for other resons. But then it should not be ranked atleast, if a leaderbord comes up as a part of multiplayer gaming.

/CQ

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, frujin said:

While perfect balance is not possible, we still have many, many options for "tuning" multiplayer games to make them more even for everyone.

Any hope for asymmetric option? 1-2 players start with big empires, all the others start with small ones? Or several teams with 1 big and few small countries each? Why do perfect balance, do obviously imperfect balance right away )

4 hours ago, William Blake said:

Any hope for asymmetric option? 1-2 players start with big empires, all the others start with small ones? Or several teams with 1 big and few small countries each? Why do perfect balance, do obviously imperfect balance right away )

Love this idea. 1 team of 2-3 big kingdoms and 1 team of 8-10 small ones, or pegan vs muslim/orthodox/christian etc 😄

Maybe you can experiment with more "imperfect balance" variants

23 hours ago, frujin said:

While perfect balance is not possible, we still have many, many options for "tuning" multiplayer games to make them more even for everyone.

Thank you Frujin for commenting! Multiplayer is the biggest draw for me to this game, and I am glad to hear that there will be tuning and also hope it will be a good level of custimizability. 

• Developers
12 hours ago, William Blake said:

I would just release without a multiplayer, let people enjoy main game and in a month or two make a multiplayer expansion or DLC or whatever. In 2020 there is no reason to make everything at once as if you had to burn dvds to distribute.

Multiplayer features are affecting deeply the single player design as well. They are very intertwined ..

On 1/13/2021 at 10:08 AM, William Blake said:

Star Citizen much?

Look at cyberpunk, that is perfect example of a good game that was rushed and could have been way better if released later. you are right we hope they don't take too long, there is the sweet spot of delay to make it great, and taking too long. I think if they get it released even if beta this year by the end then it will be in the sweet spot. being released next year would make me sad and frustrated.....though i'd still get it obviously 😉 

I am not sure that I see the problem.

If you are playing a multiplayer campaign and someone wants to start at a "disadvantage", wether it comes from selecting a small kingdom or something else, that is not something that the game has to enforce. You can always just agree on it if you want there to be a rule. And in KoH(1) you don't have teams. You make alliances and go to war as suits your goals at that time.