Minor Governors/Commanders?

Michael Gladius

Right now, the ability to assign governors is limited by the size of the royal court. This means, if I have 12 provinces then I can't fill them all. I'd like to propose a minor class that would be weaker than the royal court, but still useful.

Minor governors

Minor governors are, as the name suggests, designed to be governors of provinces. They are solely meant to increase production, but are not as efficient as royal court members. They would not be able to level up, but would instead rely entirely on the bonuses of the kingdom's traditions. There would also be no marshals available as minor governors, as they will be minor commanders instead.

Minor commanders

For minor marshal equivalents, we will have minor commanders. They will be available only to units which have a tradition- using the Developers' cavalry example, only nations with "Cavalry Tactics" will spawn minor commanders with their larger cavalry units.

These will not be separate units, but will be part of a formation acting as a captain and providing a morale boost to his own unit and others around it. If the minor commander dies, his unit will almost always flee, and adjacent units will lose morale. Minor commanders can also inspire bloodlust in their troops, which will lead to them blindly attacking the enemy without being able to be controlled. Many medieval battles suffered from hot-blooded knights charging ahead of the army, with disastrous consequences. Luckily, if they are out of reach of the enemy long enough then they will eventually cool down and return to player control.

If a unit reaches elite status (3 stars), then the minor marshal has a chance to rally the troops if the major marshal falls in battle. But beware! Spies can bribe them into defecting or retreating from the battlefield without fighting.

Edited by Michael Gladius
  • Like 1

On 11/11/2020 at 5:33 PM, Michael Gladius said:

I'd like to propose a minor class that would be weaker than the royal court, but still useful.

No. The whole point of a limited Royal Court is to force you to make strategic decisions, including making sacrifices.  Adding this minor class removes a major part of that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lighthope said:

No. The whole point of a limited Royal Court is to force you to make strategic decisions, including making sacrifices.  Adding this minor class removes a major part of that.

I totally agree with you. Thats what i like about KoH, you need to look in advance and see what will be more benifitial to you (all generals, all spies, etc), you need to be tactical and your errors are your fault. Its what make this game so special and simple, yet intresting if you always try new "builds".

• Like 1

I don't like all-or-nothing choices, particularly in a Medieval game. In that time, power and sovereignty were highly decentralized, and centralized control was really more of a post-Medieval/early Renaissance thing. Having a Royal court, which has all sorts of bonuses, feels incomplete without the ability to assign lower nobility to govern an unimportant city and increase its revenues.

Remember: the minor governors can't use or learn abilities like the royal court can.

4 hours ago, Michael Gladius said:

I don't like all-or-nothing choices, particularly in a Medieval game. In that time, power and sovereignty were highly decentralized, and centralized control was really more of a post-Medieval/early Renaissance thing. Having a Royal court, which has all sorts of bonuses, feels incomplete without the ability to assign lower nobility to govern an unimportant city and increase its revenues.

Well, remember there has to be sacrifices between absolute reality and compelling gameplay.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...