Balancing - Archers OP? AI battles too easy?

Al_Wombat

Hi,

this feedback I got off a german streamer today on twitch:

He found the archers to be op, melting Heavy Cavalry too easily whereas the Knights don‘t get to blast archer squads apart in order to counter the archers’ strength. 

Generally he regarded the rt battles as too easy once you know how to cheese your road to victory. Kinda on a good way but quite a bit to go yet…

Any thoughts from players or devs?

Is the battle system to be regarded as work in progress still? Or are people expecting too much from it?

Edited by Al_Wombat
Typos, expr.

12 minutes ago, Lighthope said:

My understanding was that cavalry was supposed to crush foot soldiers (like archers) while spearmen were supposed to stop cavalry.

Sounds like something got missed.

Well my post is based on a single person's opinion after a day since release. I'd love to hear other players' opinions. Game definitely deserves a chance. 

We do have indications though that the real time battles aren't near ready yet, whereas the game itself looks grand already. German gaming magazine Gamestar found that the enemy Generals keep galloping to a stupid quick death all the time, urging to patch this blunder asap. 

Edited by Al_Wombat
Shorter.

• Developers
6 hours ago, Al_Wombat said:

Any thoughts from players or devs?

Is the battle system to be regarded as work in progress still? Or are people expecting too much from it?

Well, the game is all going to evolve and change based on community feedback. We are already working on first two updates.

• Like 3

There is a charge button you need to push before your unit is going to run down the enemy unit. If they failed to push this then the horses were just casually runnig up to the archers missing the charge bonus i assume. It does not happen automatically as it happens in TW games.

I´m glad someone adresses this issue in the forum. The real time battles are the most critical part of this game with the rest being quite refreshing and innovative until now. What i find really annoying is, that you can´t charge down archers with cavalry properly. Maybe i´m doing something wrong but i always see my cav chasing archers across the whole map, without really damaging them. If i give up then, they just shoot me in the back again and again. While chasing i also noticed, that the whole cavalry frontline focusses on only one member of the squad getting forced in close combat, fighting him for 5 seconds, and then chasing the whole squad again, picking the next one. With this going on it takes way too much time to kill a running archer squad and to be honest it´s not how cav should chase a potential one hit kill unit so to say. I really hope for this to get balanced better, because this issue ruins whole battles, ´cause you can´t kill ranged units fast, while they are really dangerous on the opposite.

P.S. and in case im just doing something wrong i´m of course thankful for advice

Archers are indeed to powerful. Even the AI seems to know this. I'm about 4 hours in my campaign and fighting army's made up of 80% archers. On top of the RTS battles feeling like a game from early 2000's it's not very fun to do right now. Hope they will prioritize big updates for the battles. Otherwise I fear it will be a quick delete