Crusades improvement

ffekete

I like the idea of sending armies to do a crusade - but there is no control over it and the leader is being selected randomly. I'd like more influence on crusades, like joining a crusade, abandon it, delay the decision a bit, etc...

Yesterday i was going to siege a town with my marshal and i got a notification to lead it - my marshal immediately dropped all the troops and started beelining to the crusade target. Today one AI marshal got selected to lead the crusade, he went there, got his bottom whipped and the crusade was over. I'd like to join these if i'm not leading it, participate, help them, maybe even taking over leadership if the original leader dies, etc...

• 1 month later...

I'm playing as Scotland and they send my general and army. He won, yay, but now he's on the other side of the map. I tried bring him back but he pisses off every king he has to pass by to get home. Going by boat drains the armies resources quickly. So now he's just stuck.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that crusades are a bit...weird.

As far as I can tell so far, the mechanics haven't changed much between KoH and KoH2:S, but as far as I can tell, the influence you have on them as a player has actually decreased.

I have only done a crusade once so far (the Pope has the nasty habit to always ask at the most inconvenient of times :classic_rolleyes:), so this may not be representative.

I was playing as the Teutonic Knights and the crusade was against Yemen. So my guy walks then sails all across the map to the southeast, lays siege to a town (Ascalon) and even wins without me sending any additional troops to help (this rarely happened in KoH because crusader forces were almost always too weak on their own).

Now what would have happened in KoH, if memory serves, is that the game would ask me if I wanted to create a vassal state, and then the crusade would have been over.

What happened here is, my marshal did not ask me what I wanted to do, he just gifted the town and province to another (!) muslim (!) state (Akkon), then went on his merry way to the next town, where, with his now much diminished forces, he got his butt handed to him.

I was... suprised. :classic_tongue:

Edited by Tempest

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was rarely approached by Pope to lead the Crusade in early game (it would be just massive bad luck and I would usually just restart the campaign by that point), but by mid or late game I just refuse the offer right away. If you build a powerful ecenomy and have, then you can just pay off a bunch of gold to Papal States (P.S.) and you will regain bothe the dropped Cleric class opinion, and the P.S. reputation.

But still, Crusades are weird in this game. I have seen a few times when the Crusader leader can go rogue and start conquering random provinces along his way. The matter is, he attacked the kingdom with whom neither his kingdom nor P.S. are at war. Just yesterday I saw a Norwegian Crusader lay siege on his allied Danish town, occupy it and pass the reign to Norway. What baffled me more, Danish were absolutely fine with that! They kept harmonic disposition towards the Norwegians. Absolutely savage! I don’t know if it’s a bug or somehow intended. I understand when the Crusader attacks the enemy of state if they are along his way, but attacking at random with total diplomatic impunity is just bizarre.

2 minutes ago, Topinambur said:

What baffled me more, Danish were absolutely fine with that! They kept harmonic disposition towards the Norwegians. Absolutely savage! I don’t know if it’s a bug or somehow intended. 

Happened to me aswell, that 2 kingdoms which were at war kept "Friendly" relationship. 🥴probably a bug

5 hours ago, DoVlaLegend said:

Happened to me aswell, that 2 kingdoms which were at war kept "Friendly" relationship. 🥴probably a bug

Interesting. I never actually checked their stances, just saw their political relationship as “green”, so I guess I had a bug just like you. Thanks for pointing out

Interesting...🤔 - the Crusades seem to be a topic that needs to be looked at from the dev team, as we all have a consensus on them.
I've also suggested a similar option for the Crusades in my comment below the latest dev diary, alongside some other suggestions.

• 2 months later...

In my opinion, the crusade should be joined and selected like the Cardinal. Some marshals should be nominated to the Crusade, then he will be randomly selected by the Pope.

Also, I want to keep my army when lead the crusade. Can give any option to that?