Prince/Princess Ratio Unbalanced

Valek

On 12/13/2022 at 8:40 PM, Lighthope said:

RNG.  Sometimes it works for you, sometimes against.

Plus remember that any available princess gets snapped up pretty fast by someone looking to make an inheritance claim.

Yes, IMO they should make this less random, and add some sort of deterministic counter balance. It just doesn't make any sense. By the way, couple of hours later it flipped into being all princesses which "somewhat" discredit the second part of your comment.

princesses.thumb.png.bb62e8eecf638103cf438190b43e4909.png

On 12/13/2022 at 6:40 PM, Lighthope said:

RNG.  Sometimes it works for you, sometimes against.

Plus remember that any available princess gets snapped up pretty fast by someone looking to make an inheritance claim.

So we should not marry off our princesses since it will just lead to a future territory claim and war.

46 minutes ago, Firefly said:

So we should not marry off our princesses since it will just lead to a future territory claim and war.

That's always been my position.

I have long advocated getting rid of the inheritance claim.  It is historically inaccurate (with certain exceptions) and makes princesses too high a cost.  Sure, you can have great relationships to torpedo the claim, but if you have great relationships then you don't need a marriage.

Princesses basically work against themselves.

• Like 2

Same I don't marry my princesses, I agree this mechanic should be reworked, what's good about a mechanic that the player won't engage.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ To be honest, I engage in the mechanic and marry my princesses, but just for the giggles, only when the foreign kingdom presents no threat whatsoever to me.

Anyways, reworking the mechanic won't fix the unbalance issue. Think about it. If in the whole of Europe, part of Asia, part of the Middle East and part of North Africa, there isn't a single princess available, but a multitude of princes available. That just means one thing, there are too many princes compared to the number of princesses. Or vice versa.

I remember reading once that both Spotify and Apple had to adjust the random song shuffle feature in their music players, so that it was "less" random, because users kept complaining that it wasn't random at all. Even Steve Jobs had to speak about the subject. After all, in a real random environment, it could be possible for the songs to be played in the same order from time to time. Their solution was to make the music player less random by constraining the next output based on play history. I do think that the KoH 2 team should do something similar here, globally monitor the prince/princess count, and produce the next global royal family member sex based on that count. That would give us a map that would look more like a mesh of pinks and blues, rather than a full blue of full pink map. Fun fact: For most countries, there are around 105 males per 100 female births. That looks pretty balanced. So, is mother nature random at all? :classic_huh:

• Like 1

That's a loaded question, let me try to see if I understand.

If you marry your princess to kingdom B. And kingdom B claims inheritance when your king dies. If you forfeit the land, that's the end of the story. If you don't forfeit the land, they'll declare war on you. Seems you want to know if the result of that action will affect the Clergy's opinion as well, even when both kingdoms are catholic.

I haven't paid much attention to it, honestly. With some luck, someone who knows the answer see this thread and can get your answer. I certainly will be paying attention to it for the next time said situation happens. Though I wouldn't be too worried about that. Worst case scenario you lose 2 points and keep your provinces. + the benefits you get from having your princess married, i.e. Improved chances of success of own spies in that kingdom the princess is in. Improved espionage defense against spies from the kingdom the princess is in, plus a percentage of the fame the kingdom the princess is in. Now, I don't marry my princesses with kingdoms that are more powerful than me, in case I have to face the consequences.

• 4 weeks later...

I feel like the marriage mechanic needs to be redone. There isn't a single princess to marry my king. I don't think an ancient kingdom would just be like, 'oh well, guess there's no heir'. 

Update - I finally have about 15 different nations that have daughters. They all said no. So I guess everyone just won't have heirs in the game. 

Another Update - after 5 minutes and beating a rebel army, Denmark changed their mind on the wedding. I don't understand it.

Edited by tmcbeth

On 1/21/2023 at 12:00 AM, tmcbeth said:

I feel like the marriage mechanic needs to be redone. There isn't a single princess to marry my king. I don't think an ancient kingdom would just be like, 'oh well, guess there's no heir'. 

Update - I finally have about 15 different nations that have daughters. They all said no. So I guess everyone just won't have heirs in the game. 

Another Update - after 5 minutes and beating a rebel army, Denmark changed their mind on the wedding. I don't understand it.

It depends on many things.

Some things that help you get the princes:

• same religion,
  • good relationship,
  • bribe (money, land, trade, etc..)
  • your spy can also help if you have him in their court,
  • influence you have over certain kingdom (little heads that appear when you click on the nation), bigger the influence, bigger the chance