We need heavy spearmen

Michael Gladius

In the first game, there were basic, unarmored spearmen (including local variants like desert spearmen) and armored halberdiers. There was no middle option for heavy spearmen, even though heavy archers were available and two types of heavy spearmen (one by that name and the other was men-at-arms). The new game will need to include heavy spearmen since they certainly did exist.

• Like 2

I don't know any specifics, but if you really think about it spear is group fighting weapon. So in formation combined with shields you don’t really need heavy armor ? 

I wish that we could go away from "spearman" or "swordsman" unit types, and just have something like organized and unorganized combat styles. so in organized style everyone would use spears or similar staby bois. But when formation brakes spear becomes unpractical so poor bois would use axes/knifes and rich bois could use swords. 

I believe game wants to depict that in such big organized battles mostly light cheap troops would fight. And you would only use heavy more expensive bois for maneuvers like surrounding holding specific point ect.. 

• 6 months later...
On 2/23/2021 at 8:47 AM, Bigboi said:

I don't know any specifics, but if you really think about it spear is group fighting weapon. So in formation combined with shields you don’t really need heavy armor ? 

Nope. Heavy armor for infantry is necessary even with shields (only at the end of the middle ages do we see armor allowing men to fight without shields). Arrows, glancing attacks, and a hundred other things can injure a guy in battle. The point is to escape with no injuries.