Releasing Provinces would be great

monsterfurby

Ever since I managed to wean myself off "map-painting" in the Paradox games, my endgame has been to carefully rearrange the political map of the world, acting less as a world conqueror and more as someone rebalancing the status quo (Napoleon-style) and watching the nations I created rise and fall. Also, there's sometimes a case for creating buffer states or not defending distant provinces that, for example, have been taken as part of a crusade.

I realize that the concept of buffer states is a very non-medieval thing, but looking at crusader kingdoms, it would at least make sense to grant those independence. I can see a scenario where I, as a ruler, would want to simply convert the population to my religion and leave the rest to a local noble. It would be excellent if we would be allowed to do this here as well, especially since every province is already technically capable of becoming its own realm.

• Like 3

Indeed I too would love to have this option. It is a bit hard to peace out with large kingdoms without conquering 80% of it and then you don't know what to do with these provinces. Giving them away for free seems like I fought for nothing. It would be neat to release kingdoms as puppet/vassal states, at least your former allies like "restore Papacy" option.

Although this should come with some penalty like army opinion drop. Or maybe creating a vassal costs money and books. Although maybe player can negotiate with loyalist rebel to restore his kingdom but as vassal. 

• Like 3

My first thought was that this feature should be made only available through mods. But come to think of it, I'm cool with being added to the core game as well, but making it as less intrusive as possible, so anyone who doesn't want to engage with this mechanic can just ignore it.

• Like 3