Game closes itself after a few minutes

Hello,

I bought the game yesterday and have the problem that it closes it self. There is no Crashreport just back to destkop, like quitting the game. The longest Time i could spent Ingame where like 5-6 minutes. I already verifierd the integrity on Steam and tried a new installation. Drivers and Windows are update and my PC matches the requirments.

Sorry Englisch is not my first language

• QA

Hello !
Could you please provide the following info and files :

-The dxdialog
-Player.log and Player-prev.log (in C:\Users\User\AppData\LocalLow\BlackSeaGames\Sovereign)
-A screenshot would also be needed
-Please confirm that there is no Crash folder (in C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\BlackSeaGames\Sovereign\Crashes) - if you have it, please attach it as well.
-What is the multi monitor setup + any streaming/recording software if used ?

1) Instructions for the 'Player.log' + 'Player-prev.log'
C:\Users\NAME\AppData\LocalLow\BlackSeaGames\Sovereign (where 'NAME' is your PC name)

2) Instructions for the 'DxDiag.txt':
- Press the 'Windows key' + 'R'
- On the text field write 'dxdiag'
- Press 'Ok'
- You will see the 'DirectX Diagnostic Tool' window open
- Wait for the green progress bar to finish
- Press the 'Save All Information..' button
- This will prompt you to select a location for the file to be created in
- Go to that Windows location and find the 'DxDiag.txt' file

3) Instructions for the individual 'Crash' folder (should be created after each Crash)
C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Local\Temp\BlackSeaGames\Sovereign\Crashes
(where NAME is the player's PC name)

The Crash folder you are looking for should be named 'Crash_2023_MM_DD_XXXXXXXXX' (where MM is the month and DD is the date, XXXXXXXXX is the crash number)

Thank you !

Hello and thanks for the answer,

I have looked and there is no Crash folder. I have only one Monitor (Asus VA326) and I didn't use a streaming or recording Software. The only thing in the background was Discord and Google Chrome. The Screenshots are from my last test, only a few Minutes ago. This Session also closed itself after a short time (2-3 Minutes).

20230216205017_1.jpg

20230216205032_1.jpg

20230216204447_1.jpg

20230216204633_1.jpg

DxDiag.txt Player.log Player-prev.log

• Thanks 1

• Developers

@Starkiller1896 We looked trough the DxDiag and saw that you use the 528.49 Nvidia driver (came out 08/02/23 which coincides with the reports from other KoH players with similar issues like you). There are some Nvidia forums reports of other users of the same Nvidia drivers saying that they have similar problems on other games (not only KoH).

1) Have you noticed random crashes on other games you play with this driver?
2) Can you try and update your Nvidia driver to the newest one + restart your PC and see if the same behaviour continues
3) Can you provide us again with the DxDiag.txt / Player.log + Player-prev.log if the game crashes after installing the new Nvidia driver and restarting your PC - remember to not start the .exe after a 'crash' as this will renew the Player.log with new data

Thank you!

• Thanks 1

• Developers

@Starkiller1896 Hello again!

1) Do you have any mods in your Mod game's directory? If so - try and remove them (move to another folder for example) and let us know if that changed the behaviour.

2) Do you notice a particular place / time the game crashes:
- i.e. on initial loading screen (the 3rd picture you've provided)
- on loading screen transition from the Kingdom selection phase to WV
- While in WV 
- While transitioning from WV to BV (again loading screen)
- While in BV
etc. (there are different cases where people have shared that their game crashes and it is due to a Memory spike while loading for example - please monitor your RAM usage via Task Manager and send some screenshots if you see something irregular) 

3) Can you try and stop discord / any other program that might be interfering with the game before starting the .exe (I know your PC is pretty beefy but just to isolate the problem at hand) and let us know if the behaviour changed?

4) If that does not help - can you try playing with the game's minimum graphics (again to exclude any problems from there)? 

5) Another thing - can you try and change your 'thqnocfg.dat' to the one I've provided here (please make a copy of that original file and move it somewhere safe - if this 'fix' does not work you can revert to the original one). This file is located in your game's steam directory 'steamapps\common\Knights of Honor II\Sovereign_Data\StreamingAssets\THQNO' - again if that seems to stop the crashes, let me know.  

Thank you!

thqnocfg.dat

Hello,  I just recently bought the game through steam and I'm also having it crash fairly often.  It seems pretty random to me.  It can be just sitting still with no input from me and crash.  If I pause it and go away for a while it can crash while paused.  It also happens while playing... seems to be mostly while in the view where you can see all of your buildings and the landscape... possibly other views also.

I updated to the latest 531.18 nvidia drivers and it didn't fix it.  I don't have any other programs open.  Just steam and antivirus.

Besides this, the game seems pretty fun so far.  Hope it's an easy fix!

No luck.  Still crashed out to desktop.  I've tried verifying the files through steam also.

There's no crash folder in the directory.  I'll attach the files you're asking for here.

I looked at the Player-prev.log for a minute and it looks like the game thinks I'm on Windows 10 when I'm on 11.  Not sure if that's normal.  There's a bunch of stuff in there... 

I just have one monitor hooked up, and no streaming or recording happening.  I've been playing the game in the single player campaign mode only.  Other games seem fine.

Player.log Player-prev.log DxDiag.txt

• Developers
3 hours ago, world_ruler19 said:

No luck.  Still crashed out to desktop.  I've tried verifying the files through steam also.

There's no crash folder in the directory.  I'll attach the files you're asking for here.

I looked at the Player-prev.log for a minute and it looks like the game thinks I'm on Windows 10 when I'm on 11.  Not sure if that's normal.  There's a bunch of stuff in there... 

I just have one monitor hooked up, and no streaming or recording happening.  I've been playing the game in the single player campaign mode only.  Other games seem fine.

Player.log 97.11 kB · 0 downloads Player-prev.log 102.88 kB · 0 downloads DxDiag.txt 89.81 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you for the info and files - programmers will look into them further!

• Thanks 1

• Developers

@world_ruler19 @Starkiller1896 - Hello again to both of you!

1) Can you try and rename your 'crashpad_handler.exe' in your steam library (.....\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Knights of Honor II) to for example 'whatever.exe' (you can revert it to what it was if the 'fix' does not work): the idea here is to get the Unity crash collection to work. Once you've renamed the file - please run the game's .exe and see if the crash reproduces.

image.png.5a408e819815b495964febf1b51cf9a6.png

2) Does this issue still reproduce? - If so can you please replicate the crash and send the Player.log + Player-prev.log (both are located in C:\Users\YourPCname\AppData\LocalLow\BlackSeaGames\Sovereign where YourPCname is your PC's name): do not start the .exe after that as that would not provide a usable file + a new DxDiag.txt
image.png.2153ec228941f139048ab7e824e53493.png

3) Can you check if there is a Crash folder in 'C:\Users\YourPCname\AppData\Local\Temp\BlackSeaGames\Sovereign\Crashes' where YourPCname is the name of your PC

Thank you!

• Developers
18 hours ago, Starkiller1896 said:

Hello,

I replaced the thqnocfg.dat and changed the name of crashpad-handler, still back to destkop.

I don't use mods, and like Worldruler mentioned when I'm disconnected from the Internet there are no Problems, Crashes etc.

Player-prev.log 77.32 kB · 0 downloads Player.log 95.75 kB · 0 downloads DxDiag.txt 93.57 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you @Starkiller1896! -> will relay the info to the programmers. Hopefully there is some useful data to fix the issue. 

Can you check if there is a Crash folder in 'C:\Users\YourPCname\AppData\Local\Temp\BlackSeaGames\Sovereign\Crashes' where YourPCname is the name of your PC -> the logs say properly that this is a Crash this time