DevDiary 28 - Intro to Tactical Battles

THQN Brad

On 7/20/2022 at 1:25 AM, William Blake said:

This question was talked over many times. They want multiplayer to be many people at once. The game is very long. There are a lot of battles. If each time 2 out of a six people want to have a 15-20 minutes battle the rest will have to wait and do nothing. It would take too much time and too much idle time for everyone else to have tactical battles in a multiplayer. They could not find a way to do it given the strategic game whey want this to be.

1. multiplayer can also be only 2 people, yes?

2. I think players should be able to choose the rules by which they play.

3. Nobody says all battles should be playable in tactical

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/27/2022 at 9:18 PM, Lighthope said:

I've been auto-battling everything in my most recent playthrough, but a good battle is always fun.  I certainly don't want to see it skimped on.

Playing battles is a major necessity for a lost of people.  You'd be severely limiting your audience if you didn't have one included or did a poor job.  cf. Lords of the Realm 3, which did practically everything wrong.

Sorry for the late reply. I'm not saying: ״don't make battles fun or remove battles completely.״ I'm saying don't make it NECESSARY to micromanage major important battles in order to win. Handling battles should be optional, even critical ones.

For a Total War title, since its main premise was always 50% turn based 50% real time battles, in order to win an auto-managed major battle (say, a capital city) in a Total War title you need to bring three times the amount of troops than if you would simply micro the battle (and be good at it, of course.) I'm saying that this is not the premise of this game. At least, I hope not.

• 2 weeks later...

Will there be any semblance of organization in the camps and marching columns? The old game was incredibly random, and the new game should at least give some option for organizing how one enters battle.

Take the Battle of Arsuf, for instance. Richard the Lionheart won because he organized his column a certain way, putting reliable troops at the points where he expected the fiercest fighting. Medieval armies weren't mobs, and the organization of a camp/column can affect supply consumption, speed, etc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Tfoz15 said:

Perhaps update the 'coming soon' to something a little more transparent?

I may be speaking out of turn since I don't know, but my guess is that they don't have a date themselves.  So putting a date out there only to have to potentially change it isn't a good idea.  Hence the generic "Coming Soon".

• 2 weeks later...