DevDiary 23 - Religion: Islam and Paganism

THQN Brad

„…almost the entirety of the world looks down on [Pagan kingdoms], which has its effect on diplomacy.“

…surely, this would be mitigated by power? 

____

It is nice to imagine also for a very powerful kingdom to force some of their pagan rites onto a rival of any religion which the clerics of the opposition would hate, but would aid diplomacy and public opinion of said kingdom. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2021 at 5:28 PM, Calliope said:

Considering the map, maybe paganism could be split into two branches: a "Nordic" or "Eurasian" one, and an "African" one. The first could mix Norse, Romuva (I think that was Lithuania's religion before they converted to catholicism) and Tengri (Mongolian) faiths, the second one could represent the fetishist realms of Africa. I think that would be cool and add even more depth, while keeping things simple. Actually, current paganism reflects the "Eurasian" non christian or muslim faiths. If the devs like this idea, and if they have time and resources to spare, things may evolve this way... or another! 🙂

romuva is new reconstructed religion of the old pagan one

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2022 at 3:44 AM, Al_Wombat said:

„…almost the entirety of the world looks down on [Pagan kingdoms], which has its effect on diplomacy.“

…surely, this would be mitigated by power? 

____

It is nice to imagine also for a very powerful kingdom to force some of their pagan rites onto a rival of any religion which the clerics of the opposition would hate, but would aid diplomacy and public opinion of said kingdom. 

While I like the idea I doubt pagan rites would be taken seriously by already very organised monotheistic religions. 

This is why I also don't think paganism should just spread on its own, especially across borders, it is not heresy. Reverting back to paganism would make sense only in newly Christianised areas (where Christianity still needs to root itself into society) but after several generations of Christians paganism as faith would practicly be dead there. 

Hello everyone, sorry for my bad english. Maybe the information I shared will be useful.
Muslim clerics are indeed very influential. Before the conquests, many religious men came with trade and set a good example for the people. During the war, the local population was divided into converts and non-Muslims who believed in the justice of Islam and those who remained faithful to the religion of their ancestors. This was the case in Central Asia, Anatolia, the Balkans and Pakistan. But as the Islamic state gets stronger, faith weakens. Enemy and dangerous cults and heretics emerge. Muslims would become restless and this would sometimes lead to civil war or war with a friendly Muslim state. Many assassin sects emerged, such as the "Hashashids".

Some Muslim kingdoms were able to form alliances by taking multiple wives or sending princesses. When noble kings died, thanks to these marriages, one Islamic state could join another Islamic state.
Sometimes this was accelerated by assassinations.

The religions that Turks choose for themselves The majority of them are members of Islam (Sunni and Shiite sect), Christianity (Orthodox), Judaism (Caspian and Karaite Turks), Buddhism, Manism and their ancient religions Tenriism and Shamanism (Mongol). -Turkish-Tatar). Some of the reasons why Turks belong to different religions are that Turks established nomadic empires in vast lands and were on trade routes in the Middle Ages and before. The religion of Islam is valid in the settled Turkish kingdoms and empires.

Turks who became Muslims were called Turkmen, and Turks who became Christians in Anatolia were called Turkopolis. Today, Christian Gagauz Turks live in Georgia, Ukraine and Russia.

In the past, free Turkish tribes used to serve as mercenaries. They would change their religion in the country they went to. Thus, they gained privilege and power. Just like vikings.
 Sometimes they joined the Chinese army, sometimes the Eastern Roman Army, and sometimes the Arab army. Only the Turkish tribes, who were Muslims, did not change their religion again. In the old Turkish (Turan) religion, the Sky god (Tengri) is similar to the belief in the One Creator in Islam.

Caliphs became Puppet in their hands. (Selçuk Turks) After the collapse of the Abbasids, the Caliphate passed to the Mamluks (Slave Soldier) of Turkish and Circassian origin. With this slave soldier, They became sultans thanks to their soldiers and political power.. When the Ottoman Turks defeated the Mamluks, they took over the Caliphate. 1517 -1924

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello, I don't know if the topic has been covered, but in the first game, you had (-) negative income in pagan religion and "0" zero income in Islam, but you could earn additional income for your treasury only choosing a Catholic or Orthodox religion. Will there be any improvement in KOH 2 in this sense?

In addition, there is a culture of "jihad" in the religion of Islam, in short, we can say that it is a unifying divine call in the war against non-Muslim groups, will this issue be an action too? thanks.