Gameplay video impressions

William Blake

20 minutes ago, Zaza said:

listen to constructive criticism only from players that play the beta (but do not stray too far from the vision), and don't ever think that the silent majority is somehow beneath a very vocal minority.

That's a little too elitist for me.  Just because someone isn't in the beta doesn't mean they might not have something valuable to add.

No one here is in the beta yet.  Should we wipe out everything said so far?

And the "silent majority" is often code for "people who agree with me but I have no evidence of."

7 hours ago, Lighthope said:

No one here is in the beta yet.  Should we wipe out everything said so far?

And the "silent majority" is often code for "people who agree with me but I have no evidence of."

The silent majority is code for people who don't throw a fit because KoH2 is too similar to Knights of Honor 1 and don't go sperging about it after seeing just a short clip and emphatically declare the game is atrocious and it will fail commercially because it's not tailored along their tastes, hopes and dreams.

Something valuable is always to be had but not as valuable as the beta feedback from players that will actually play the game and will experience it AS A WHOLE.  

• Thanks 1

On 5/18/2021 at 2:37 AM, Zaza said:

^ hey devs!  

If you do that, I am not buying this game. Even from the bargain bin, several years down the road. 🙂  😛

It seems we're in that phase where some people are very upset the game is not exactly the one they dreamed up in this pandemic, after watching just short clip. And by invoking their wishes the game to do well, they think that throwing near tantrums and acting entitled, is the way to go.

To devs: the best way to hurt your game is designing it by "forum commission".

My advice to you is not about gameplay mechanics, but to stay true to your vision, listen to constructive criticism only from players that play the beta (but do not stray too far from the vision), and don't ever think that the silent majority is somehow beneath a very vocal minority.

PS: I've played Knights of Honor for the first time ever early this year (after 17 years since launch... mkay?) and the first thing I did, after completing it, was to buy a physical copy to add it to my games collection. But somehow the author of this thread wants me to believe that this game is s4#t!

I can attest your game withstood the test of time really well (yours and MechCommander 🙂 ) and you can take my vote and take it to the bank in 2021.

PS2: For the love of God, leave the "building depth" aloneee!

image.png.924ad227fc4bac95dfd4f32fdff0fbcb.png

LOL Why are you quoting me in this? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello from suprisingly sunny Karlstad, shout out to the Black Sea team`s amazing work so far and to THQ for helping make this game possible.

I see a lot of good posts here, I`m not familiar with KoH2`s current trade system but I am familiar with KoH1`s. Here is a hopefully easily implementable idea:

Use the same trade system as in KoH1 but adding trade routes. After you select a country and resource to trade with you are shown a dynamically calculated sea and land trade route that you can choose between and your possibility for trade and amount of profit is based on whether you have signed a trade agreement with all factions along the trade route. Land trade should always be possible, sea trade should require ports along the way.

If you have time to implement more you could add more complexity to the trade routes such as: profit calculated based on infrastructure along the route, possibility to diplomatically motivate trading partner nations along the trade route to improve their infrastructure in exchange for gold or other diplomatic goodies.

As for the army hiding idea +1 to that. Imagine areas like forests and mountains with hiding bonuses (+ general hiding ability), offset by the size of the army being hidden with a random chance of the army being found increasing over time.

Two hopefully useful points in general:

- what many modders found lacking in the campaign map of the first Rome Total War was the pre-battle scouting, maneuvering, attrition warfare, temporary fortifications etc. A KoH2 that pulls that off well should have a distinct advantage over many other RTSs. On top of KoH1`s capabilities i`d recommend destructible bridges, pontoon bridges, palisades, spikes etc.

- no team can be expected to make a perfect game and it`s normal for development resources to be limited, if you make the game very widely moddable(like for example the first Rome Total War) you will save a ton of work and have mods to suit any taste, balancing and complexity requirements. Imagine the game getting large overhaul mods 8 years post-release like RTW did, that`s the definition of heaven for me(+ the chance for me and my gf to merge with the couch playing KoH2 multiplayer campaign ♥).